Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Part 1 of biweekly menu planning

Maintaining a healthy eating lifestyle takes a LOT of work. The easiest way to ensure that you are eating healthy is to make sure that the majority of the food you bring into your house is healthy. I find the easiest way for me to ensure this is to plan a menu and shop for only what is needed for the meals that are planned.

I have an added need to stick to a strict food budget. When my husband and I decided I could continue with my schooling, I knew that I was going to have to make sacrifices. So all the menus and grocery lists that I make will be for our household budget of $150 every two weeks.

Every other Wednesday, I begin making my biweekly menu by looking online at the weekly circular for the two grocery stores in my area, Food Lion and Lowes Foods. I make a spreadsheet of all items that are on sale that my family will eat. Not everything on this list is “healthy” per se, but when you incorporate mainly homemade, healthy foods, you can splurge a little on certain things. Also, my husband has to eat 3000-3500 calories a day to maintain his weight due to a labor-intensive job. I will use the things that are on sale at these two stores as the base to my menu. Tomorrow I will continue with part 2 of making a biweekly menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment